Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sock it to me!

I love horrible puns. (Cue everyone's response of "DUH".)

Anyway, last night I finally decided to start working on my first pair of real socks. I bought the yarn with my last Knit Picks order to make some socks for Matt, who needs a pair of tan socks to go with some brown pants that he has.

thuja

So far so good - the top inch of rib is done and I'm working on the seed stitch rib pattern now. The pattern I'm using is Thuja from Knitty, with some modifications. That pattern calls for worsted yarn, but since I had fingering, I cast on 64 stitches on size 3 dpns. It looks like the cuff is big enough, but if not I'll just chalk this up to a learning experience. So far it's been easy, I'm just dreading the hard part when I get to the heel. Maybe I should practice doing a small heel with some scrap yarn so I don't mess up the actual sock (which would make me throw a tantrum).

Also, these metal dpns are butts. Stitches falling off all over the place. I knew I should have gone for the more grabby Harmony set.

1 comment:

  1. Let me know how it goes when you get to the heel. I have a sock "knit" up...but I haven't gotten past the heel turn yet..lol

    ReplyDelete